Tuesday, July 12, 2005

7-12-05 Gershwin

I had the most exquisite experience last night!!! I went to bed early after a very long day at work. I decided to drown out the day with a bit of classical music to fall asleep by. I switched on our local station and found myself quickly drawn into a radio broadcast of Hershey Felder's George Gershwin Alone.
The performance was so moving and the music, overwhelming. "Porgy and Bess", "Summertime", "Where or When", and, of course, "Rhapsody in Blue". The dialog was brilliant and humorous. I was overcome.

I'll be buying a copy (2CD set) for Mom. The entire time I was listening to the show, I was thinking of Mom and thanking her for bringing an appreciation of classical music into our lives. Radio shows; Gershwin, Glenn Miller, Smothers Brothers, Martin and Lewis, Liberace even.....it takes me back in time. I'm so lucky that we shared these things.

Along those lines, I finally got a copy of Song of the South. Finally. So many years of trying. How great is that? I bought one for Mom too. She watched it twice.
I'll add to that the movie she sent to me - The Tango Lesson.
It's a shame that it has taken me so many years to really start appreciating all the blessings of Mom.

Isn't it funny how we forget all the bad stuff? I'm starting to believe I had a wonderful, carefree childhood. Maybe I did. It was a damned sight bettter than most, I'm sure of that. ;)

2 comments:

Agnes said...

Ahh, Gershwin was brilliant. Did you know that he wasn't even popular when he was writing all those songs. Bad reviews and such. He died young too. I think I was Gershwin in a past life. ;)

For me, Rhapsody in Blue. I spent about an hour trying to find the old Warner Bros cartoon of it. I can't. If you find it, send me a link. THAT's my memory of classical music. Hahahaha! It's all about Bugs Bunny.

Agnes said...

Nope. Wrong Rhapsody. I think, although I may be wrong, that it has much more to do with "Kill the waaabit! Kill the waaaaBIT!" No, that was an opera.
Rats! Being disnetigrated makes me very angry. Very angry indeed. ;)