Tuesday, January 02, 2007

An In-Body experience...

Ever had an in-body experience? This happens to me on very odd, rare occasions. I'm driving home from work or I'm at the grocery store looking at the breakfast bars and suddenly....
suddenly...

I step inside myself. I stop and look around and all of my surroundings seem distant, somehow disconnected. I am taken aback, just for that second, by how vast the world is and how small a piece of it I am. I am aware of my existence and of my impermanence all at the same time.

How to explain it? I don't really know. Today it came upon me as the thought (more the feeling really) of how far I am from my family crossed my mind. It was "Wow. I'm REALLY FAR from them. They have NO knowledge of this mundane thing I do right now. It is as if this thing I do does not exist to them."
Isn't that odd.

If you're not really feeling it, I beg you to take a look at this little movie. It might illustrate the feeling a bit. The movie is of a fractal. The movie continues to zoom in on the fractal....WAY in. Somewhere, in a place that never crossed your mind, is yet another fractal. Yet - it was there all along.

Blue Oyster Fractal Movie

6 comments:

Christa said...

That actually sounds like the same feeling I get just seconds before I have an epileptic seizure. But your experience is probably without all the fog I have around me at the time.

I'm in Linux, so I will have to watch the movie when I'm back in XP again.
But it's very nice to have you back, girli :hugs:

Autumn Storm said...

I have that feeling relatively often, the part you describe as being suddenly very aware of how vast the world is, how many other people occupy it living their own lives, having their own joys and tribulations and most of all just plain thoughts as I do, an inner life, and realizing in that second, I'm just a small part of something huge. Not sure if you would class that as the same, but there you go anyway, and that occurs to me mostly when I'm travelling at high speeds, busy, moving, and I'll see everyone else moving along, doing their thing, at different speeds, at different levels of concentration.

In some way, I guess it is the same as when we become aware of our breathing, the very basis of our lives so to speak without which there wouldn't be any, yet we are not consciously aware of it most of the time. So, and I think you said this, it becomes a higher level of consciousness, or complete, either way, focused with nothing entering in other than the very basics.

What a wonderful little movie. :-) It could be a metaphor for many things, it looks best here though.

As Christa said, so very, very nice to see you back with us. Have a happy day, much love, x

tsduff said...

Welcome back hon. Been missing you. I get a similar feeling sometimes - more like a serious wondering what the heck it's all REALLY about. What IS the purpose of life? What is MY purpose in life? Is it related to people in other lands... people in other times... anyway, when it hits I don't end up dwelling on it much because it scares me. I understand about the family being so far away... my sister and her family (my young nephews and nieces too) leave for Albania tomorrow - I won't see them for another 4 years or so. I love her so dearly - but the world is so physically big it is impossible to hug each other. :-( I wish you peace and joy this new year coming... xoxo

tsduff said...

ps - that was some video !

illusions said...

I still haven't understood this in-body experience thingy...after reading Autumn Storm's comment I do have some idea though...have I experienced it...well I guess I when go up the mountains and view the shear beauty and vastness of the himalayas I get all very humble. I don't know if that classifies as a in-body experience :)) The side of this so called Rupen defined in-body experience, is that I get back to the city with this unbelievable urge to acheive and make myself and my life more purposeful. I could go on, but let me stop here.

Nice blog Agnes; Excellent comment Autumn Storm!

illusions said...

Watched the video...and am perplexed as to why you can't change the course of destiny. And it felt like a maze, leaving me a bit mezmerized. Similar to how I feel after staring at one of your fractals for more than 30 seconds.

Also, I have to the conclusion that such videos must be mighty difficult to make and be happy with...you know, there is no ending it can just carry on, like foreever and then what...Rupen shakes his head and has chosen to at least bring this comment to an end!