Saturday, July 01, 2006

July 1, 2006

"It's time to return to childhood, return to innocence, return to purity, to non-judgemental joy. Adulthood is the imposter, the deceiver, the one that leads us away from our true nature. "
~Tree George~

The "gap" between what was and what is may very well be my inability to concieve that a "pure nature" exists. This implies that, regardless of any life circumstance, there is an un-jaded, un-altered, childlike joy inside each person.

I can grasp that I was once a young child who, much like my nephew, was unaware of the troubles of life. At some point there was constant curiosity and possibly unwavering optimism. I cannot imagine that that child lasted for long. I have memories of being two. In those memories, there are consequences. I am learning consequences. The stove is hot. Don't play with the glass things on the shelf. Don't talk to the scary neighbors.

What was pure? When was pure?

Back to the "gap". If a child existed, her world included a sense of security. The security was defined by her "place" in the unit. Her place shifted suddenly.
She stopped existing when the sense of security stopped. The adult took over.

The adult saw and heard and did (and did not do) things. The adult must come to terms with those things. The adult must now adjust to the life without the security.

And the gap widens, unless......
Unless what?
It is suggested that the adult reach out to the child.
I cannot connect to this child. If the child existed, she did so in a world that no longer exists. I cannot go back again.

I went back to a resort once to relive a wonderful memory. It was not the same at all.
I went back to our old house to revisit the past. I could not even get near the past.
My grandmother's house is now my grandfather's house. It is not the same.
My parents house is now my mother's house. It is not the same.
Our childhood house was washed away - down the river - in a flood. Now only stands weeds in a place where we all would play. "Being" does not exist there. We do not exist there.
We cannot go back. We can only go forward.
The child, if there ever was such a thing, is gone.

I am often enticed by the idea that, one day, long after humans, all of the plants will overgrow all we see now. It will all go back to earth. There seems to be a "rightness" about that.

3 comments:

Trée said...

Well hell, if I had known you were going to quote me I would have put a little more effort into the thought--LMAO! :-D

I wish I had answers but I'm afraid we are on the same path, in the dark, hoping from time to time if we giggle our flashlight enough it will flicker for a bit and we will see the obstacles before us. If your toes are tired of bumping into the rocks on the way that we can't or don't see, as mine are, then come sit with me for awhile and put your head on my shoulder. There is comfort in numbers and knowning we are not alone. :-)

Trée said...

How the hell do you "giggle" a flashlight? Think I'll go make some more coffee now. :-)

Agnes said...

There is a great deal of comfort in knowing we are not alone. It helps immensely to know that we are all sort of bumping along together. We all have our challenges and our path to tread.

I think "giggling" a flashlight is perfectly correct. It is the giggling that I am lacking more often than not. Sometimes, a bit of giggling lights the way just fine.
Hugs to you sweet man. Coffee is good. :)

I'll drop by to visit sometime after 2 today. I am just beginning a huge project that I hope to finish by then. I am shredding all old, unneccessary documentation. I've been holding on to too much for too long.