Tuesday, August 16, 2005

8-16-05 Children's movies?

My husband and I, on occasion, will indulge in a children's movie. We grew up with Disney Sunday Night movies. We have a warm spot in our hearts for them.

Last night we watched Two Brothers (not Disney). This is a children's movie of the "Free Willy" type. It is "designed" to create awareness and sympathy toward the endangerment of wild Tigers. It was a horrible movie to watch. I would never let a child watch it. The body count is far too high.

I am having a real problem with children's movies now. It seems they are following the same plot line. The child figures are seperated from the parent figures. More often than not, the parents are killed off. Please explain why it is necessary to kill the parents. Nemo watched his mother die and then lost his father. Two Brothers switched characters but played out the same. Lemony Snicket killed the children's parents in a fire. I could name 5 more if I took the time to think about it.

Is this really something children need to be exposed to? I understand that the plotlines are trying to relate to the child by letting the child characters be independent of parental rule. Send them on vacation or something. Why must they be permanently offed?
Ok, Bambi did it with great success. (I still fast forward through that scene. I was traumatized by it as a child.) Is it really a good idea to put into a child's head the notion that the one thing that makes them feel safe can be taken away from them? Is it necessary for their development in some way?

I feel this plotline is overdone and it is time to grow.

1 comment:

Agnes said...

I agree with you on the divorced parents thing. I guess, maybe, movies are made to relate to children. An unfortunate thing to relate to.

LMAO about Tinkerbell. Imagine how confused I was when my amazing Peter Pan turned out to be Mary Martin.