Wednesday, August 31, 2005

8-31-05 Far Reaching Implications

Please know that I value human life above all other issues here. However, I worked in transportation for 12 years and I cannot ignore the impact this is already having.
All of the residents of Southern Louisiana are without work. Nationwide, truckers will begin to lose their livelihoods as well. A lot of these people are long-time friends who work very hard to get by.
Manufacturers will recoup their losses from consumers.
The whirling winds have not stopped.

"We are receiving multiple reports of diesel shortage in the south east due to the hurricane. Truck stops are reporting they are out of diesel or limiting purchases to 50 gallons. This has the potential to create late deliveries and inconsistent transit times until the supply of fuel meets demand. The effects of this shortage in other regions is not known yet - but expected to expand as the supply runs out in the south east. "

Deisel Fuel Market Report

Here are some locations and the status of the fuel as of 9:00 AM today:

-NASHVILLE, TN: I-24, JAMES ROBERTSON PKWY @ EXIT 48. ACCESS LOC # 5041. OUT OF FUEL.
-ANTIOCH, TN: I-24 @ EXIT 62. ACCESS LOC# 768. OUT OF FUEL.
-FRANKLIN, TN: I-65 @ EXIT 61. ACCESS LOC# 706. OUT OF FUEL.
-HURRICANE, WV: I-64 @ EXIT 39. ACCESS LOC# 198. OUT OF FUEL.
-ASHLAND, VA: I-95 & RT54 @ EXIT 92. ACCESS LOC# 5045. LOW ON FUEL 100 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-RICHMOND, VA: I-95 @ EXIT 89. ACCESS LOC# 210. LOW ON FUEL 100 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-ROANOKE, VA: I-81 & US 220 @ EXIT 150. ACCESS LOC# 5046. 100 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-WYTHEVILLE,VA: I-77, EXIT 41. ACCESS LOC# 217. 100 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-SPARTANBURG, SC: I-85 & SR290 @ EXIT 63. ACCESS LOC# 5039. 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-ATLANTA, GA: I-285E, EXIT 53, HWY 160. ACCESS LOC # 5010. 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-MADISON, GA: I-20 & US 441 @ EXIT 114. ACCESS LOC # 676. 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-MERIDIAN, MS: I-20 & I-59 @ EXIT 160. ACCESS LOC # 756. 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-MATTHEWS, MO: I-55 & HIGHWAY 80 @ EXIT 58. ACCESS LOC # 701. 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-CARTERSVILLE, GA: I-75 @ EXIT 296. ACCESS LOC # 5071. 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-CORDELE, GA: I-75 @ EXIT 97. ACCESS LOC # 5080. 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-COMMERCE, GA: I-85 & US 441 @ EXIT 149. ACCESS LOC # 677. 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION
-MANNING, SC: I-95 & SR 261 @ EXIT 119. ACCESS LOC # 213. LOW ON FUEL 50 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-WHITESTOWN, IN: I-65 STATE ROAD 334 @ EXIT 130. ACCESS LOC # 306. 100 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-EDINBURG, TX: 8301 NORTH HIGHWAY 281. ACCESS LOC # 5085. LOW ON FUEL 100 GALLON ALLOCATION PER TRANSACTION.
-MOBILE, AL: I-10 @ EXIT 4. ACCESS LOC # 778. LOCATION OUT OF SERVICE DUE TO KATRINA.
-SLIDELL, LA: I-10 @ EXIT 266. ACCESS LOC # 725. LOCATION OUT OF SERVICE DUE TO KATRINA.

4 comments:

Phred said...

Agnes - see my blog on this issue. I cannot believe we have let ourselves get to the point where a single event can paralyze an entire country. It is my understanding- oil is not the problem , it is refining capabilities. Solution - build more refineries.
I own a truck brokerage , 1 year ago I was paying trucks ( mostly stepdeck loads) $1300 - 1500 to go 1150 miles to LA. Now it is costing $ 3000. If you can find a truck. Many of my trucks have simply gone out of business.
What now - things are getting worse.
I fear our economy is in danger of collaspe.

Agnes said...

Phred, I feel your pain. I too owned a brokerage. I've also handled the transportation for major corporations from the inside. I see the economic effect this will have down the line.

I'm already getting word of carriers just walking out. Small brokerages are closing shop. Paying $3000/load with no profit at all will get them nowhere.
So much loss. I fear the wholeness of it all.

Phred said...

We are a small operation, dependent on a local polypipe mfg.
Thank God we have other business intrest because I fear the brokerage might be on very thin ice.
We sat around this weekend and sort of layed out our plan for the worst case senairo.
Not intending to preach a sermon- but- the Good Book does speak of natural disasters and all kinds of strife in the end days.

Agnes said...

My family copes through humor. We'll find the silliest thing to make us laugh...even at funerals. We're odd like that.

I was chatting with a friend about this mess. I looked at her and said, "Did we miss the 7 signs?" She burst out laughing.