Sunday, August 07, 2005

8-6-05 Another perspective

I was watching a show about some 60s political protesters and where they are now. One very important protester was sharing her current views on the Iraq war. She said something that struck me odd.

"I don't believe that I've been told everything about our policy in invading Iraq. Saddam Hussein was on OUR side. We supported and identified him as the leader of Iraq. And now, we've come into Iraq to liberate the people for their freedom. We don't want Iraq. We don't want their oil. We just want their freedom. We have never done that really. Before. That way. I have to remember that I know that, even as I listen to everything that they're telling me.

I am not "for" this war. I believe that what we are trying to accomplish could have been done on a much smaller scale than this. When this war started, I watched the body count and mourned our soldiers (my family, my friends). I had to stop. I had to stop looking for the faces of loved ones to come across the tv screen, but I wait for the phone call and I fear it. So many others wait too. So many people's sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, wives and husbands...ours...and their's.
I hope that the above is true. I hope we are there to give freedom. I hope that we accomplish some good from all this bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure everything will turn out alright. don't worry. then again you might think, "easy for you to say" Well maybe you're right, I will probably never feel the way you feel about the Iraqi War, but just to let you know you have my support :)