Friday, December 02, 2005

12-1-05 Visitor - Pay it Forward



Last night there was a knock at our door. This makes us anxious now. It fills our heads with excited "maybe"s that we're afraid to believe.
It wasn't Mickey.

It was a neighbor that we've never met. We opened the door and she said "Hi. I brought you some donuts. I heard about your kitty. I was hoping you'd found him.
I just wanted to come by and check and see how you're doing."

A stranger. Can you believe the beauty of that? The depth of heart?
We shook hands and introduced and talked an thanked. When she left, my husband and I just kept repeating into the silence of our space "That was the nicest thing. She was so nice."

I have to give back more. I'm taking too much and not giving back enough.
I must continue the circle.

7 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

As so often, its the little gestures that mean so much - what a nice neighbour :-)
The fractals another beauty, better and better they become, and the best way to go about it :-)

Trée said...

Well, if you're in the giving mood I've got a few ideas. Boots required. Have a great weekend with your dad Aggie. Life is a circle as you said. What goes around comes around. Just a matter of time before one of us needs your love and support and we all know you will be there with bells on when that time comes. Love, hugs, and kisses my sweet Janie woman. :-)

Christa said...

That's a precious thing these days when neighbors rarely say hi and are even afraid to knock on each others doors for any reason.

Have a good weekend with your family, Agnes :hugs:

Abigail S. said...

That is so completely amazing! Wow! I think that's a reminder to ALL of us that we need to be continuing the circle! Thanks for sharing!

And have a good time going to see your dad this weekend!

Lindsey said...

Wow. That was really nice. I've never had anyone do that for me before.

Agnes said...

Linny, I was pretty amazed myself. It's hard to believe most days, but there probably is more good in the world than bad.

Christa, you're right. We don't know the neighbors. We don't knock on doors. Isn't it odd that fear. We're probably mostly all nice people. Aren't we all just trying to do the best we can?

Abigail, I believe in karma. What goes around comes around. You get what you give. I believe those clichés continue to exist because they hold true. I'll be giving a great deal more in the coming days.

Autumn, Tracey, Trée, (and everyone really) Thanks so much for kind words. I don't have a lot of time to enjoy fractalicating so they are what they are. :)
Thanks also for commenting. Each time I see you is smile on my face and a hug in my heart. Thank you for those things. I do hope to return the favor soon.

So very much love to you all.

tsduff said...

Agnes, I'm so glad that a neighbor came over to offer some encouragement. It doesn't bring your Baby back, but it lightens the load a little.

You just hang in there like you are doing such a brave job of... one little bit at a time.

Hugs -