Tuesday, December 27, 2005

12-27-05



I'm home in Dallas. Dad is "stable".
We all went up to see him on Christmas day. His mind was clear and he knew all of us.
He saw the kids. That was important. He smiled for them and talked to them too.
It was a good day....as days go now.

***
As for taking notes: the cancer is not killing my father. MD Anderson is mostly.
He has been there for three weeks. He is dying of starvation.
Every symptom* he has is a result of malnutrition, not of the tumor. The tumor is not growing and it is being irradiated daily. I'm told it isn't big enough to diminish his breathing and that he would have no less lung capacity if they removed the entire upper lobe of the left lung. They cannot do surgery because he is too weak.
He is too weak because he consumes no more than 100 calories per day - possibly less.
My mother has mentioned to doctors and nurses that he has difficulty eating. My mother has watched him take 3 bites of food and be done with a meal.
He needs a feeding tube.
I know it will be uncomfortable but he is very like an anorexic and should be treated as such.
It is ultimately Mom's decision. She hasn't made that decision yet because she is afraid he will a) suffer or be uncomfortable b) be mad at her.

For the record, codependency is B-A-D. Don't do it. There's way too much guilt involved.

(*symptoms: inability to breathe, arrhythmia, low blood pressure, mood swings, confusion, loss of elasticity of the skin, weakness. Possible results if not treated: liver damage, heart failure, stroke)
***

I want to thank you all so very much for sticking with me. I hate that I am posting such uninspiring and sad things. I know that it is hard to walk into this world every day without being dragged down a bit. I thank you all so much for your comments.
Please know that I read every word of every comment (some two and three times).
Know also that you are all very much a part of my heart and I know that I will never forget you. If I had arms to reach, I would hold you all close.

XOXOXO

7 comments:

Agnes said...

T, if you stop by again, please send the link to your new blog address. (up and running yet?)
I never seem to get around to e-mail these days.

All the best,
Aggie

Christa said...

Oh my Agnes...if they can't even look after him enough to make sure he's not starving...
And you're right. He needs a feeding tube and I can't believe that the doc can't see that.

I'm glad that you had a good Christmas Day...or as you said, as good as it can get right now.

Take care of yourself :hugs:

Trée said...

Aggie, thanks for the update. I'm reading everything you post too. Take care hon.

Lindsey said...

I know this has to be especially painful for your mom. What a predicatment.

I'm sorry you guys are having to go through this but on the plus side...if they can get the proper nutrients in him...he will recover more rapidly.

good luck and keep us posted.

tsduff said...

Aggie, your Dad is lucky to have you and your family as advocates. Truly you are the ones who have to take charge and just continually nag and cajole and boss the doc around until what is needed for your Dad is done. As for posting uninspiring and sad things - such is the stuff of life. You put down what you need to, and we will be there beside you every step of the way. Love T

Autumn Storm said...

That's terrible, Agnes. Badger the staff for the drip, if that's what it takes - hospital staff always have a million and one things to do and corners get cut, unintentionally of course, in a rush to do as much for as many as possible.
Up or down, I'll be visiting you each and every day, because you are you. x
Love & Hugs

Autumn Storm said...

PS The fractal is beautiful.