Thursday, December 08, 2005

Apophysis-Weathered Wall



Weathered Wall.
That's what I feel like some days.

Someone said I should write down everything that is happening with my father...in case I need an attorney later. Is that an awful thing to think?? It gives me shivers.
Dad went home the day before Thanksgiving. He was...um...moderate at best. He could still fend for himself anyway.
More tests were scheduled for 12-8-05 (today). Bloodwork, catscans, etc.
Until then he'd be home with oxygen pumping up his nose all day.
Eating has been hard for him. He feels like he takes two bites and he's full or he's nauseated.
He started getting weaker.
He's supposed to walk every day. Even just a little.
When I saw him last weekend his skin had no color. Grey would be the closest. (And he is generally tanned so that was pretty frightening.)
He could not stand on his own. He could not walk on his own.
I told Mom "something isn't right". I told her to take him back to the hospital.
I told her that the hospital doesn't KNOW he's getting weaker unless someone tells them. She's so exhausted that she doesn't know what's right and what's not now.

She took him back on 12/6. He's dehydrated and his red blood count was nearly half what it should be. They gave him fluids and two pints of blood. They have put off any surgery because he is too weak. He has been admitted and will have a physical therapist to help him build strength. (I'm very glad of that. That is a burden my mother shouldn't shoulder.)
He never should have gone home. He's very depressed.

I am so very appalled at how LONG any kind of action takes. Is this normal? Is there such a thing as "normal"?
This has been going on since mid-October. And he had the fever for 6 weeks before that. He has had only treatment for symptoms so far. There has been no treatment for the cancer...and we know it is growing. What if it starts moving? What if it already is?

Ok, is that enough for the attorneys? Why would I sue the people who are saving his life? Are they? Are they doing all they know to do?

Sorry all. Didn't really mean to dump or to be sad. I'm not sad today. Frustrated is a better word.
Love and hugs and health to you and to yours.

2 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Oh, Agnes.

Cannot add much to the above, though it is my experience also (on the other side of the world) that although medical staff are wonderful generally, they also have so much on their plates that corners are bound to be cut. Definitely push at all times to make sure he is getting the best treatment.
Other than that, all I can do is
say I feel so for you, for Dad and for the rest of the family,
hope things improve a.s.a.p and
leave you with a great big cyber hug, xxx

Christa said...

Agnes...I wouldn't bother with gathering any information. A lawsuit wouldn't make your dad any healthier and it sure wont bring him back if anything goes wrong.
Money is a poor substitute and nothing else. Besides...something that like would most likely wreck your mom into pieces too.

Other than that I agree with merlgrl.

:hugs: