Friday, June 16, 2006

Feelings, whether of compassion or irritation, should be welcomed, recognized, and treated on an absolutely equal basis; because both are ourselves. The tangerine I am eating is me. The mustard greens I am planting are me. I plant with all my heart and mind. I clean this teapot with the kind of attention I would have were I giving the baby Buddha or Jesus a bath. Nothing should be treated more carefully than anything else. In mindfulness, compassion, irritation, mustard green plant, and teapot are all sacred.
-Thich Nhat Hanh, "Miracle of Mindfulness"

If you want to know the past, to know what has caused you, look at yourself in the present, for that is the past’s effect. If you want to know your future, then look at yourself in the present, for that is the cause of the future.-Majjhima Nikaya

Different winds come from all directions. Some are clear, some carry dust, some are cold or hot, fierce gales or gentle breezes. In the same way sensations arise in the body--pleasant or unpleasant or neutral. When a meditator sees sensations as he does the winds, coming and going, clear or dust laden, fierce or gentle, he will fully understand them and be free from dependence on them. When he understands sensations perfectly, he will see beyond this conditioned world.-Samyutta Nikaya

6 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

My, oh, my, but that is an amazing fractal.

illusions said...

Ok this post has left me a bit tired, really heavy stuff...I mean for a Friday that is...so haven't read all of it..

The image however is highly appropriate and seems to look like an enlightened butterfly :D

Trée said...

Incredible image Aggie. I'm smiling at just how good you have become in using this program. All the best my friend. :-)

tsduff said...

Agnes, those colors are so pretty. I like it.

You are awfully reflective these past few days girl! Too bad my brain is unable to grasp and examine these awesome quotes too closely due to the upcoming frenzy of trip-daze :-D I do like the one about the different winds very much.

Agnes said...

Thanks Autumn. The colors weren't accidental but, as usual, the image itself was just a happy accident. ;)

Rupen, An enlightened butterfly sounds perfect. I think that is the exact title of this piece. :D

Tree, I've gotten into the habit of resetting all triangles and then working from there. It seems to offer better results. Also, the laptop has more "umph". I can finally render at 2000 in under 6hrs. LOL ;)
Thanks for your sweet comments.

Terry, TRIP DAZE!! Woohoo! I'm thrilled like you are. Maybe this is the butterfly of excitement that is dancing in your tummy?
As for reflective, I might be coming to the end of a journey. I can't really tell yet. It has been an enormously introspective journey. So - you travel the world and I'll travel my brain. LOL

Oh -and I've noticed we have no Christa...which is not good news. I'm off to go check in on her.

Phred said...

Agnes, Nothing to do with your post. I just thought of you today, and wanted to remind you that God loves you.