Tuesday, February 07, 2006

1-7-06 The Circle

Funny how things just keep coming back around in our lives.
Better if they come around and you give them to someone else.

I have a book of poems that I wrote when I was a child.
This is not one of them.

I remember writing this verse from a song by Billy Squire. I heard it yesterday and I was suddenly that child again.

Time for all and all in time
We slip beyond the borderline
of who we are
and where we long to be.



It seemed relevant somehow. I'm not really sure how.
Maybe it is just the comfort of familiar emotion.

On that note: My sister's in-laws have been profoundly comforting in the past 4 months...as our lives changed so drastically.
I received a card from her yesterday. I was quite surprised by it but mostly I was overwhelmed at the compassion and empathy she gives so freely.
In that card she included a poem that she wrote when she was a teenager. She wrote it just after her father died. He went to work one day and never came home. He was killed on the job.
How very kind of her to share something so deeply emotional.

What an awful thing it must have been to lose him in what seemed like a normal day. What a terrible surpirse. I think of all the others who must have gone through the same thing. (car wrecks, 9/11, soldiers, heart attacks...)
I suppose I was lucky. I didn't lose him as a child and I we did get to say goodbye...well, not actually goodbye...just "No matter what happens, I love you."
I think I want to say that to everyone now.

"No matter what happens, I love you."

8 comments:

Christa said...

My ex boyfriends dad died on his way home from work...got hit by a bus when he was almost home.
I don't think that the family ever managed to get over it...

Love to you too :hugs:

Becky L said...

"What an awful thing it must have been to lose him in what seemed like a normal day"

when i was a sr in highschool, i was out with my sister and mom on a friday night, shopping for prom dresses. we came home to a message on the answering machine that my grandma was in a car accident and died instantly.

...we were supposed to visit her the next day.

Autumn Storm said...

Gosh, I could rattle on all day on that subject.

I'm loving that frac!!!

'No matter what happens, I love you' - I'm pretty good at leaving people with an 'I love you', well aware, one never knows what's up next. I like that first part included 'No matter what happens'.

Happy Tuesday, x

tsduff said...

You know Aggie, whenever I read your blog, I get emotional. Don't know why, but you can count on it. So I must remember not to read it whilst here at work answering phones... makes it difficult when clients don't know why I'm all choked up and I can't talk.

You are such a great reminder about loving everybody, and telling them so. I lost my Mom that sudden way. My last memory of her was a month prior when she and my Dad were in town for Thanksgiving, and they did the most special thing ever: took me out to dinner at a fancy restaurant for my birthday. They drove away the next morning in the red van, and that was the last time I saw her before she died. On Sunday morning Dec 22, 2002 I got a frantic email that Dad was taking her to the hospital and then when I called around to all the hospitals in LA, I found my dad who told me "we just lost her". I didn't comprehend what he was telling me. My brain would not accept something so bizarre. It was sudden as well with my husband a year later, but I won't horrify everybody with the grim details.

Go forth into your life and live it with love. Every minute of every day. It is all we have.

Agnes said...

To all of you:

"Go forth into your life and live it with love. Every minute of every day. It is all we have. "

Yes. That is exactly it.
I am ernestly trying to remind myself, every moment of every day, that we are all just doing the best we can and we all deserve to be loved.
I cannot imagine how hard it would be to have lost suddenly. The tragedy, confusion, anger...

My family has lost beloved grandparents but I've never lost anyone so close to me. This is my first experience and it has humbled me greatly.

I have never doubted my parent's love - nor they mine. I know how lucky I am for that I hope I pass that love on.

The thing I'm learning now is "what if it happens suddenly to me"? What if I leave others behind? How can I help them be okay?
There is much to consider...and much to give.

Trée said...

Nite sweetheart. I have a special moon for you tomorrow. Sweet dreams dear sweet sexy woman with a heart of gold. :-)

Abigail S. said...

I love the frac! Pretty cool.

I know we never met, but I feel like I have... Is that wierd? SO I can say, "Love ya, too!"

Lindsey said...

There are definetly things that come full circle in my life that I wish I could pass of to someone th next time around.

On another note. i am glad you were able to have your father for so long but it doesn't take away the pain anymore than if you hadn't. It's ok to be sad and to miss him.