Wednesday, May 31, 2006

5-30-06 Something to think about...or not...

Suppose someone you care about tells you a secret. Suppose they say something like "You know, I was the one who wrecked your car back in 1998."
Now you have this information but what do you do with it? The car wasn't special. It was replaced by a newer model. Life has moved on.

You didn't know this 10 minutes ago and so you weren't affected by it. Now you know it and you have a choice: a) let it interfere with your life or b) toss it out.

Here's the rub: If you decide to hold on to that information...in fact to brood over it...the only person being hurt is you. The other person has, in fact, cleared their conscience. THEY feel better.
Why does a person hold on to information that only hurts them? Is it self-pity? A reason to let people feel sorry for them?

I do not understand.
Toss it out. Move on.

Does it depend on the secret told? If the secret may have impacted lives does that justify the brooding? Does that give reason to hold a grudge? Does the grudge hurt the person with the secret....or just the brooder?

I'm at a loss.

I'm learning a new lesson. It is that some people create their own problems by hanging on to useless negativity. Some people bang their heads because they like the suffering.


Have I lost compassion or just lost patience?

Have a happy Wednesday. It really is Wednesday...really.

10 comments:

Christa said...

Um...I don't think it's you, Agnes. I agree 100% with you about tossing it out...and I don't understand why there are some people who enjoy suffering in their own miseary...especilly the kind they can change.

So it's not you.

Have a great Wedgeday :hugs:

Agnes said...

LOL Wedgeday. Gotta love that.
And thanks for absolution because I totally read her the riot act about hanging on to useless garbage.
Oh well. I should really learn that it is NOT MY PROBLEM. If I don't then I'm hanging on to useless garbage too, huh?

Autumn Storm said...

In effect, its priorities really. Some prioritize being happy, so they open their eyes to it, keep it close and if its lost for a little while, they know where to look to get it back. The other, though they would never agree let alone admit it, find some strange sort of pleasure in the wallowing, focus is always directed at the negatives.
Personally, I'd be upset at the dishonesty....
but ultimately, yes, no use in holding on to "useless negativity".

Happy Wednesday :-), x

Trée said...

Aggie,--my-keyoard-is-actig-up.

I'll-respod-later-whe-I-ca.

Just-wated-to-say-excellet-post!

:-)

Thaks-for-thikig-of-me.

tsduff said...

Agnes, you have one of the greatest reserviors of compassion I know of. Silly girl. So, guess the patience side gets drained at times. Old age is full of surprises, isn't it? :-D (I can say that... at my ripe old age :-)

I like your solution: Toss it out, move on. Better for your sanity that way.

Sounds like Trée's keyboard has a cold... pour a little Nyquil over it :-D

Lindsey said...

Depends on the seriousness of the secret. Stupid things...you laugh about and whatever...serious things are a little more difficult to deal with. I had one of those a few years back. Still haunts me a bit from time to time...but not like before. But...if at that time I knew of a way to make it poof out of my head, trust me, I would have. Too much hurt and pain resulted from that little tidbit.

Phred said...

We`re gonna start calling you DR. Agnes.. :-)

I agree...TOSS IT. Move on.

Hope you are having a good week. Today is Thur. but it is my '' Friday ''. 3 day week-end coming up. ( Fri. Sat. Sun. )

Agnes said...

Autumn, - yes, there are those who find pleasure in wallowing in pain. Maybe that's what I've lost patience for.

Tree, Sory t hear bout yr kbrd. Hope its betr sn. Hgs. ;P
PS I thnk it suts u well as is.

Terry, You are too kind. I should learn to take my own advice. I'm worring about her worries. Ptooie. Tossing now. :)

Linny, I wondered if the nature of the secret justified hanging on to the info. I think you're right. Some things hang on even if you don't want them to. I've been thinking a lot about the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. Where's the eraser?

Phred, LOL Dr Agnes...only if someone starts paying me for it. Besides, I only offer my therapy to you all. Lucky you. Hah.
No fair at all with the three day weekend thing. I'm guessing you worked Memorial Day though. Wouldn't surprise me.
However, we have been badly confused on our days all week and you've just compounded our issues.
I think we should have all stayed in bed...all week long.
Do enjoy your time off. :)

illusions said...

I think people hold on to something when the impact is perceived high and they somehow lose control of their senses. I do believe when that happens they choose to not to be happy. Which kinda sad, but I guess people are different and have differing values. But, then why be reminded of something that doesn't help in anyway. Silly person, he who remindeth. Sillier person, he who holdeth.

Jeanne said...

In my experience the pain lies in the insecurity caused by the fact that the person effectively kept a secret, whatever it was. It is an issue of trust. Trust is very hard to regain.