Saturday, October 01, 2005

10-01-05 My Froggy Zen Garden


My little garden isn't much. It is, however, just overflowing with love. When I look at it I'm reminded of my family and of happy times. I spend cool evenings on the patio bench just looking at it. I light little tea-light candles in it to illuminate my frogs. The frogs are the important part.

Here is my garden:



For close-ups, here is the story of how the froggy garden came to be:
In the spring we get toads on the porch. They sit under our bug-zapper (which hangs in the rafters killing mosquitos) and they feast and feast. We are amused by the frogs.

So, Christmas of 2002 my mother bought me this toad.
We all had a good laugh at what an insane present this was. We even remarked "Isn't he the ugliest thing you've ever seen?" Well, only I could love something that odd...and I do. That toad makes me grin every time I see him.
Ah, but it got so much funnier.

Christmas 2003 it snowed in Dallas. The toad was in the garden. Snow began to cover him.
We have since joked "Well the snow in Dallas is one frog deep this year."
To counter this, my parents got me a stack of toads - so we'll always know how deep the snow is. (It's in the upper left of the photo at the top)

Christmas 2004 my father, sharing my love of music, gave me The Jazz Frog and my Mom bought me The No-Evil Frogs.

Along the way my husband has indulged me as well and it all culminated in this happy little garden. The only things growing there are the irises (Beautiful,Lacy, Purple Irises) and the Texas Mulberry Tree. Nevermind that. It could grow nothing but frogs and I'd be happy.

This is Mickey. He's my big cat. See how peaceful this place is?

9 comments:

Trée said...

If only you knew how much I would like to be sitting in that garden right now with all the peace I imagine it brings. Thanks for sharing that pic. Now to find my own Zen garden ;-)

Autumn Storm said...

Love the Jazz Frog :-)

Anonymous said...

It looks great to me, Agnes.
Did you know btw that frogs brings happiness? Doesn't matter if you have them indoors or outdoors, but according to Feng Shui (asien way of planning your living space), frogs are a good thing.
And a red front door will keep evil spirits away ;)

Abigail S. said...

I love the frog garden! Maybe I'll make myself one! ... right, with all the spare time I have! ... Hey, maybe you could come to Pennsylvania and make one for me!

Agnes said...

I seem to recall frogs bring luck. There's the one with the coin in his mouth that's supposed to bring money-luck.
I never buy the money-luck symbols. I fear it's a shallow wish and that I should not wish for material things. (I do buy lotto tickets though, so I think my karma's a bit off kilter.)

Regardless, there are frogs all about me. My dear family has decided I will become a collector of frogs. I adore every single one!

Agnes said...

Oh, and the complex I live in might be a bit opposed to me painting the green door red. LOL
I guess free paint is better than red paint at this point.
We do have a luck emblem on the inside of the door - to ward off evil spirits. Just after I put it up, my husband found the job he has now. A month later I found mine. We've put a lot of faith in that little trinket.

Agnes said...

Abigail, I am on my way...but we'll have to get some tall frogs. It snows deep in Pennsylvania!

Anonymous said...

lol....I tried to convince my husband when I lived in LA that we needed a red front door, but when I brought it up with the rest of the gang at the complex, they wouldn't let me. Heck, they wouldn't allow you to put up a colourful parasoll either...so picky picky picky.

Phred said...

I loved your garden, again you have caused me to think..wouldn`t it be sad if we were all the same..
It is a shame '' pride'' ( the original sin) creeps in.. a little thinner- a little prettier - a little richer - a certian color - a little more talented at one thing - a little more blah blah blah..
We should all have some kind of garden and appreciate what is '' different ''.
P.S. you did very well on the questions.. I would expect that though..you being a Texan and all. Nuff said.
Have a GOOD weekend !!