Sunday, October 23, 2005

10-23-05 Back home...

I'm back home in Dallas. No new news. Dad expects to be in the hospital until at least Tuesday. They are keeping his fever around 100 with Motrin. He's sleeping better. The antibiotics (we think) have caused ulcers in his mouth that are making it very difficult to eat or talk. Still, his attitude was much better today.
He's so very bored though. We are all so spoiled with out satellite dishes and Tivo and laptops and cd players. He won't even allow a laptop to be brought in. He's afraid it will grow legs and walk off.
I left him with a deck of playing cards and suggested he play some "low-tech" solitaire. I also left a puzzle book to while away the time.

ANYWAY - I'm home and the last four days were a month long. I thought I'd bring some pictures. What's a trip without bad piccies? Huh? (besides, we do need to lighten up a bit, huh?)

Christa, remember that I hate freeways? Well, here are a few photos I took while driving down them. That makes me the biggest hazzard on the road. LOL

South to Houston - the most boring drive in the whole state:


The speed limit is 70mph.
This is me NOT doing the speed limit. (lead foot)


This...is an oil well. We have many. It's part of the scenery.
(why don't they make oil wells look like trees?)


This is the high point of the drive (I couldn't get a photo of it at 80mph)

Isn't he hideous? 67 feet of white-marble-dead-guy smacked into the trees. Blech!
Across the highway from that is Huntsville state prison. It's actually more attactive.

Here's a not-quite-awake-yet happy face that makes every trip worthwhile:


And finally - four days later - the Dallas Skyline on the horizon. Ahhhh...that's about an hour from the house and it's a sigh of relief for a cramped back and a full bladder.


There - I've spared you from ever having to take that drive. I don't recommend it anyway. :)

Love to all.
Agnes

9 comments:

Trée said...

Welcome home Aggie!

Wow, the only thing missing on that drive was the rest stop or fast food drive-in. Wore me out just looking--LMAO.

Get some rest. I've got plans. :-)

Trée said...

Oh, I thought I would let you know. In the pic from inside the car, the windshield reflection, if you look very closely, gives one a view right down your . . . well, don't want to spill the beans to those that didn't notice it. Nice view though. :-)

Agnes said...

LMAO - I checked and there was no reflection of me. (I know "made ya look!")

I did stop at the most horrible Jack In The Box. I almost took pics of the restroom. BLECH.
Centerville (a little city 2 hrs from Dallas and 2hrs from Houston - hence the name) used to have the best Bar B Que place called Momma Mike's. Momma Mike sure knew how to season a french fry. LOL

I spared you roadside parks.
Yes, tonight I will sleep. Tomorrow - I will catch up with those plans!!

Amazing fractals you've been doing. I couldn't comment but I stopped by a lot. :) Miss ya! Glad to be back.

Christa said...

Ooooo...piccies :D

And yawp, I remember and agree about freeways. I hated the 405 in LA coz you just never knew what could happen...and not a whole lot didn't happen, that's the creepy part.

When I saw the first piccie I thought you were on the wrong side of the road at first...lol...silly me :p
I've gotten use to be on the left side of the road, so it almost looked like home ;)

And my what a cute smile that lil guy have :D Is he by any chance yours?

Tell your dad that his laptop under no circumstances won't grow any legs...LOL...mine is still around and I've had it for a while now. It won't even move when I tell it to ;)

Try to get some rest and don't worry to much (easy to say, I know). And take care :) :hugs:

Becky L said...

oil wells that look like trees? excellent idea. you could make fortunes with that idea! go patent it or copyright it or whatever you have to do.

... or something.

Autumn Storm said...

Agnes,
That little boys smile is just about one of the cutest things, I've seen :-)
As for the rest of the pictures, well :-) Oh, and I checked, couldn't see anything in the reflection either, so breathe a sigh of relief ;-) and get a good nights rest. See you in the morning. Peaceful dreams.
A, x

Agnes said...

LOL Christa. I can't imagine ever driving in another country. It's bad enough in my own.
That beautiful baby smile is my nephew. He lives in Houston also. I miss him all the time. He is quite the charmer.

Becky - this week....my nephew discovered his shadow for the first time.
He would move...it would move. He would dance and so would it. But when he sat down...it dissappeared.
It kept his attention for over 20 minutes. See what you have to look forward to?

We can't paint the oil wells like trees. George Bush wouldn't be able to find them anymore. LOL

Autumn..thanks for keeping Trée (and my virtue) in check. ROFL. I appreciate it.

Thanks again all. Today's quote regarding grace - that's for and about all of you.

Hugs
Aggie

Abigail S. said...

Good to hear things are going better.

You should be ashamed, going 80 in a 70 zone.... You SHOULD be going 85! That's my kind of driving! FAST!

Agnes said...

Thanks Abigail. LOL the sad thing (that whole drive is a sad thing) is that I was only doing 80 in the passing lane...and I wasn't passing anyone.
I do recall looking at 90 on the speedometer while passing a few crazies. Weeeee. Don't tell my parents. They think I drive 65 in the slowlane. ;)