Wednesday, October 12, 2005

For Mario


DINAH IN HEAVEN
by Rudyard Kipling

She did not know that she was dead
But, when the pang was o'er,
Sat down to wait her Master's tread
Upon the Golden Floor,

With ears full-cock and anxious eyes,
Impatiently resigned;
But ignorant that Paradise
Did not admit her kind.

There was one step along the Stair
That led to Heaven's Gate;
And, till she heard it, her affair
Was -- she explained -- to wait.

And she explained with flattened ear,
Bared lip and milky tooth--
Storming against Ithuriel's Spear
That only proved her truth!

Sudden -- far down the Bridge of Ghosts
That anxious spirits clomb--
She caught that step in all the hosts,
And knew that he had come.

She left them wondering what to do,
But not a doubt had she.
Swifter than her own squeal she flew
Across the Glassy Sea;

Flushing the Cherubs everywhere,
And skidding as she ran,
She refuged under Peter's Chair
And waited for her man.

* * * * * *

There spoke a Spirit out of the press,
'Said: -- "Have you any here
That saved a fool from drunkenness,
And a coward from his fear?

"That turned a soul from dark to day
When other help was vain;
That snatched it from Wanhope and made
A cur a man again?"

"Enter and look," said Peter then,
And set the Gate ajar.
"If I know aught of women and men
I trow she is not far."

"Neither by virtue, speech nor art
Nor hope of grace to win;
But godless innocence of heart
That never heard of sin:

"Neither by beauty nor belief
Nor white example shown.
Something a wanton -- more a thief --
But -- most of all -- mine own."

"Enter and look," said Peter then,
"And send you well to speed;
But, for all that I know of women and men
Your riddle is hard to read."

Then flew Dinah from under the Chair,
Into his arms she flew --
And licked his face from chin to hair
And Peter passed them through!

5 comments:

Trée said...

Aggie, what a wonderful post to discover this afternoon! Thank you so much for thinking of me and Mario. Life is relationship, is caring and to see such a post brightens my soul on a tough day. Thanks so much my dear sweet friend.

Agnes said...

I love this poem. The first time I read it, the photo would have been that of a sweet, Himalayan kitty named "Mooch". He was about 3 yrs old, had the voice of a kitten and never stopped talking.
He was more life and bounce and fun than either of my others.

I am glad to be able to give this to you now. I hope it offers a moment of solace.

Trée said...

Very much my friend, very much. Hugs and kisses for your thoughtfulness and because I just like hugs and kisses--lol.

Phred said...

I`m 53 years old.. but I know that there is a scraggley yellow mut (I called him Sandy), waiting under ''the chair''for me to get there..

you did good Agnes

Agnes said...

Aw thanks Phred.
That chair must be as big as the plains of West Texas because there are an awful lot of our babies awaiting our return. I know of four, and likely to be six someday and I'm nowhere near done.
I can't imagine my life without a beloved pet. That unconditional give and take just adds a whole other dimension to our lives.

If fish and newts count, I'm gonna have my hands full. And I look forward to it!
When you get there, give ol' Sandy a hug for me. ;)