Monday, September 19, 2005

9-19-05 Purple

So I looked up my favorite poem. The poem that has been hanging on my bedroom wall, in caligraphy and flowers, for the better part of 12 years now. I found out that my favorite poem has become a cultural icon. Who knew?
This means that it's not a secret. It's not all that special. You've all heard it already. Pfffft.
Too bad. It's still my favorite. It matches up well with my old soul. It gives me hope of a time in life when I might just tell everyone exactly what I think...and then let them think I'm senile so it doesn't even matter. ;)


When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
or only bread and pickles for a week
and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.


But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
and pay our rent and not swear in the street
and set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


Poem by: Jenny Joseph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard it...if that makes you feel better? lol
It's lovely though :)

Autumn Storm said...

I don't recall hearing this one either. Cute! Wouldn't that be fun (at least for a little while), not to care about spitting and wearing 'purple' and not always having to worry about long-term security and the example we are setting for the children...free, in other words to do whatever we please whenever we please.
Have to say though, I like things the way they are and although I don't spit, lol, I do wear "purple", dance in the rain, hoard and eat whatever I please (well, within reason).