Saturday, September 24, 2005

9-24-05 Lovely Rita Meter Maid


Thanks J, for sticking that song in my head. lol

Well the brunt of the hurricane missed Houston. We have confirmed that the power is out at my sister's home. (They tried to ping the home pc. There's technology for ya.) Since the family all lives within blocks of each other, we presume there is no power at my parent's house nor at my grandfather's. Phone calls into Houston are a hit-or-miss thing. The lines are overwhelmed and we're not getting through.

My sister, her husband and that beautiful baby that I keep posting on the site, are all in Tyler, TX. Tyler will get very heavy rains and winds today. They're in a big house made of stone and up on a hill. They should be fine but do not expect to drive out any time soon. Flooding will be very bad. Power will likely be lost as well.

I'm waiting for the damage assessments on Galveston and Beaumont this morning. No news there yet. A prayer or two for those who stayed and for those who may come home to nothing.

Two more notes:

  • Traffic inbound on Sunday will be something to see. I doubt the governor will move all lanes to southbound/eastbound.
  • Houston will not likely evacuate next time. There will be a lot less desire to deal with the roadways and a lot more people believing it won't be all that bad. I hope that doesn't turn into disasterous results.

6 comments:

Trée said...

Not sure whether to smile or shake my head at that sign. Seems Houston dodged a major bullet.

Now come the rains. I got a feeling the rains to come are going to be the story of this storm, esp if it loops back to the gulf, which one computer model indicates as a possiblity. Keeping fingers crossed.

/T/ said...

Hey, that stormtracker thingie I have on my blog I got it from here. And with my creative copy and paste I got it in my blog :)

And boy what a complex word verification I got: hizxuwwd. If it gets posted, at least I got it right :)

Trée said...

Hey, poke, poke, still awake??? Poke, poke . . . you up?? LMAO just checking ;-)

t0meh said...

Same here, prayers out to those awaiting news, be it good or bad.

Like the background to your blog by the way Agnes, nice colours - goes well with your writing :)

Lindsey said...

I have a few friends in Galveston but fortunately they got out in time. Here's to hoping they come back to a home that's whole.

Agnes said...

I slept in today. Lookie how busy things got while I wasn't watchin. :)

/T/ - thanks bunches and what a cool link. I fear we'll need to use it again.

Tomeh, Thanks - for prayers and background compliments. I do like the purple but it's pretty moody looking. I think I'll wait til mid October to change it again. I found an awesome Halloween background. :)

Linny, I sincerely hope your friends in Galveston have a) a place to go back to and b) an easy trip back to it. Sunday afternoon and the returnees are starting to stack up again. To top that, Highway 59 south is closed because Houston had to open the dam to prevent flooding. The waters are high enough to flow OVER 59.

Trée - "poke poke" you crack me up. I was awake, but not online. The hubby and I partook (partook?) in a local hockey game. It was a BLAST. First fight 1.32 into the first period. Bwwahaha...it just got worse from there. We won too. (Local team. TexasTornados.)

I'll poke ya back someday soon. :)