Monday, September 05, 2005

9-5-05 Vigil


We spent the entire night, minute by minute, in constant vigil over our little black cat. We think he was having an allergic reaction to Clavamox. He was barely coherent and stumbled about when trying to walk. We spent the dark night silently praying he would be with us this morning.

He is. He has a good appetite now. Light of day, maybe he'll be fine.

The Clavamox was prescribed Saturday morning. We've given it to him three times since. The first two he reacted as if it tasted horrible. He would paw at his mouth while walking, sort of stumbling while he did. He eventually knocked out the abcessed tooth. Still, he needs the antibiotic.
I diluted the prescription and gave him half the dose with a pain pill. When he reacted last night, I was sure he was dying from it. I was sure I had poisoned the baby.
To love him so much and then to be the death of him? How could I live with that?
Thank you God for leaving him with us. Maybe that God found mercy on me...with all the begging I did.

No meds today. Back to the vet tomorrow.

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

I'm so glad he's okay. Poor thing and I know you were frightened. We had a new born puppy that developed some respiratory infection and his breathing was extremely labored. It was late and I couldn't take him to the vet until the morning so I stayed up with him all night to make sure he didn't stop breathing. It broke my heart to see him that way.

Agnes said...

Thanks so much Linny. We did the same. We held him close and every time he would stop purring, we'd shake him back awake. Poor thing. Only wanted to sleep. I don't know what we were thinking. We couldn't have brought him back.

I've never ever been good with the death of animals. So innocent. So very hard to let go of.
Our cats are 14yrs and 15yrs and we've had them since they were babies. (My husband and I have no children.) Logically, I know we'll have to let them go. That's a very hard cross for me to bear.

t0meh said...

Christmas Eve of 2003 was the death of our first little black cat. She was only 8 months old, so much life in her. She died, cancer of the stomach - it cost us hundreds for the operation. The vets said it wasn't likely she would survive the op. However, we had to keep fighting for it, money wasn't in the equation.

I'm sorry if that's something you may not have wanted to hear, I just thought it would be of some relevance! Since we should all be grateful our loved ones be it human or beast are still with us :)

Over the moon and relieved to hear your animal is well now Agnes, good stuff! purrrrfect !

Trée said...

Agnes hang in their. We got a very sick dog that is too young to be this ill. It's amazing how much our pets mean to us. I love all five of my yorkies to pieces.

Agnes said...

Thanks so much for words of kindness.

T0m, So sorry about the baby kitty. Stomach cancer in something to young. It just makes no sense, does it? No, money has never been a contributing factor for the health of our pets. Like children we will fight for them. I hate that it is even crossing my mind.

Trée, my heart goes out to the puppy. I hope things turn out fine. They do wrap themsleves securely around our hearts, don't they?

There are many people out there who do not understand that bond. I feel sorry for them.