Friday, September 02, 2005

9-2-05 Grief

I have returned to this theory often in my life. This knowledge helps me find patience and empathy for those who are suffering.
I find that I am evaluating our country by it now.

The 5 stages of grief.
-Denial
-Anger/Blame
-Bargaining
-Depression
-Acceptance

I've heard it said that a person doesn't truly BEGIN to heal until they've passed through the 5 stages. They then may experience the following:

-Accept the reality of the loss
-Experience the pain of the loss
-Adjust to the new environment without the lost object
-Reinvest in the new reality

As a country, are we experiencing the "Anger/Blame" stage now?

(Postscript: Grief is a very individual experience. These stages are not always experienced in order. Some may not experience all of the stages. A person who remains "trapped" in one stage for an overwhelming period of time may need medical attention.)

2 comments:

Sellrealest8 said...

The 5 stages of grief.
-Denial
-Anger/Blame
-Bargaining
-Depression
-Acceptance

Thank you for posting this. I am in the middle of depression and starting the acceptance phase. Thank you for helping me understand the process.
My Bilateral Mastectomy is scheduled for Sept 16th.

Phred said...

Agreed, I am in anger / blame about the slow response to the Katrina aftermath I guess. But I think to correct something that went wrong..a certian amount of blame must be assigned and the failures identified .
Who / what in the system failed and how can it be made better.
On another note..sellrealest8 -I would like you to know that my mother had a radical mastectomy about 18 years ago,( she is now 72 ) and has survived and lived a full life ever since.You CAN beat this. We are praying for you .