Wednesday, September 21, 2005

9-21-05 Rita

So Rita's heading for Galveston. Well, it's heading for TEXAS actually.
Interesting the attitudes and actions as seen from the inside.
My entire family, parents, sister, brother, their families, cousins, aunts, grandfather...all in Houston. I'm here in Dallas.

The hotels around my house are already booked up. I've told everyone, "nevermind that, just get up here!"
My sister, her husband, the baby and two dogs are on the way up to Tyler. (Two cats had to stay behind, locked in the house with food.)
My cousin is in California on business. Her husband and three children are in Houston refusing to leave. She's a basketcase. She's flying in tomorrow (she hopes) and intends to convince the lot to move on to Austin to be with her mother.
My grandfather....refuses to leave. He lives in a wood-frame house near downtown. A very old wood-frame house.
If he won't go, my parents won't go either. I'm hoping he changes his mind or someone changes it for him.

My father works for a large car dealership. They will be open tomorrow. (because people will be desperate to buy cars??) The big guy at the dealership is from somewhere up north. He has no idea what's coming. It just doesn't seem to be clicking. He expects to re-open the dealership on Sunday. Wouldn't want to lose those sales! Idiot.

My mother is making plans. I've asked her to prepare. She knows what needs to go. They are hesitating and it's making me even more nervous.

My best friend, in a huge act of kindness, has offered up her home to my clan. Plenty of space if things overflow where I am. Good to know. Good to know.

Counting down. Rita's knocking.

2 comments:

Trée said...

Agnes, all I can say is Godspeed. Might be time to move to Tennessee ;-)

Oh, if you can't sleep again, let me know--I'll see what I can do--lol.

Agnes said...

Thanks Trée. Of course, I'm on the phone with them as much as possible; getting updates and making plans.
I'm listening to everything with heightened senses and I'm shocked at a lot of responses.
I just want to scream "What part of 'GET OUT' do you not understand?"
So many who are nonchalant.

This time the gov and FEMA are planning and helping and doing things but I still see a repeat coming.
Not so much the flooding as digging people out of places they wouldn't leave.

Galveston isn't taking it lightly. I'm glad of that. I heard tell of a 14hr drive from Galveston to Houston. I hope that means they all left at once.

And the price gouging. We need some good ol' Texas whupass for gas stations that have raised prices to $3.50+ just because of the sudden demand. That's just wrong, my friend.

On a lighter note, my brother - with his wife and their boy - went to Lubbock. My mother asked, "Why Lubbock??" He replied, "Exactly."