Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Goodbye My Love


Fly on angels wings. Your old pal Moochie waits for you there. Tumble and have fun.
I'll come looking for you when my time comes. I hope, in whatever place you are, that the time between now and then seems no more than a minute long.

So I won't forget:
- -Mickey's favorite things were warm towels and tuna fish. We had a bunch of towels we would cycle through so he could have a fresh, clean, warm one - especially when the weather got cold. I would lay half of it on the floor, he would step on and I would fold the other half over him. Then he would twist and lay down so he was wrapped in a tight bundle....I used to say "like a papoose". I would tuck in all the corners and he would purr so gleefully.
- -Every moring he would meet me at the foot of the stairs. I would say "mornin" and he would say "meo-eon" - I think he was repeating back to me. It always had two syllables.
- -He loved to play under the sheets when I would make the bed. Sheets floating down on air were fascinating fun. He would come running any time he heard them.
-Every night before sleep, I would brush him. He loved to be brushed. He would purr just to see me with the brush. I would coo and he would bend and stretch into the brush. I would repeat "Momma loves Mickey." "Loves" was a big word between he and I.
- -He made eye contact with me. Always. We could lock eyes and he would purr. If I winked, he would wink too. If I closed my eyes, he would close his and then peek to see if mine were still closed.
- -He was never really mischevious. He bonded so closely with me that his only real need seemed to be to know where I was at all times. We could go for walks anywhere and he would follow right along. People thought that was crazy.
- -Mickey was so big. He was 20 inches long from his nose to his bum and at least 12 inches tall - if not taller. The most he weighed was 30lbs but he lost weight in the last year and he was very sleek. Everyone who saw him, vets included, had to stop and look in amazement. He was a beautiful thing - and I told people he was part doberman. Funny though, Mickey was a complete passifist.
- -As big as he was, he thought he could fit in a shoebox.
-He loved to be inside or under. He learned young how to open cabinet doors on his own and always wanted to sleep in the cabinets. He hated storms and would hide from them.
- -If I layed down next to him he would stroke and chew on my hair. I think he was petting me back.
-Sometimes he would get so happy he would drool.

***
We have been spared a few things by all this. He will never be tortured by another vet. His hips don't hurt him anymore. I will never have to decide when it's time to put him down.
***

My love, we had 15 years and that's a lot. I didn't know, when you were a kitten, that we would have so much time to share. I'm so lucky to have known you and to have loved you. I loved you every day of your life, just like I said. I will love you for the rest of mine.
You were MY first pet. My first baby. Thank you for letting me know how wonderful that could be.
I miss you my love.
I saw a glimpse of you walking into the house two days ago. You weren't really there...or were you? Maybe you are still here right now.

7 comments:

Agnes said...

Before we go the route of believing he'll come back; My neighbor has the most wonderful pup. She's really the sweetest dog ever. She's a bloodhound.
Bloodhounds find blood.

And there it is - not 15 feet from the back door. No other evidence. Nothing "confirming" but I know.
I know my baby was trying to run away home when something, probably coyote, caught up.

I have to accept that.

Agnes said...

Secondly, and by no means, least importantly;
Thank you all so very much for holding my hand and for holding out hope. You are the kindest, most generous people I've ever known. Each and every one of you are in my thoughts and prayers.
I need no gifts for Christmas this year. I've already recieved them.

So much love from the deepest part of my heart to every one of you.
Thank you.

Autumn Storm said...

Me too!
Biggest bear hugs!
xxxxxxxxxxx

Agnes said...

I'm running late this morning and I need to catch up with all of you. Christa, Becky, Linny, Terry, Abigail, Phred and everyone who has been around for me - I promise I'll check in on your blogs soon. I know I'm missing everything in your worlds and I'm so very sorry.
I sincerely hope you are all well and filled with holiday spirit, family and love.

(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Christa said...

Oh Agnes...I'm so sorry :( My tears are falling like salty rain here for you...I know exactly how it feels :hugs:
I've lost cats myself and it's like losing a baby....nothing can replace them and nothing can comfort you.

And take your time...our blogs will be there :hugs:

Stargazer said...

Agnes, I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you.

tsduff said...

Agnes, just know that we are all walking with you in your grief. Your sorrow touches all of us as if it were our own. Hugs.