Wednesday, November 02, 2005

To smoke or not to smoke


"If you are losing a tug-of-war with a tiger, give him the rope before he gets to your arm. You can always buy a new rope."
-Max Gunther

"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
-Charles Kingsley

It is my intention to quit smoking...ten days from tomorrow. That sounds like one of those perpetual dates; "The sixth Thursday of next month." or for that matter "When pigs fly.".

It is not. It is a real and calculated date given me by my doctor. Because that's how many Wellbrutrin he gave me. See how this works?

I was amused by his plan and want to share it.
First - you have to want to quit. Really want it. (I think I have that covered under the circumstances.)
Second - take the WB for 10 days and on the 11th day stop smoking. Also on the 11th day, take low dose Xanax for 5 days to get over the anxiety.
(I took a Zoloft once in my life. It made me a complete zombie. I sat on the couch for 8hrs completely incoherent. I'm a little concerned abut this Xanax idea.) At the same time I should have an ample supply of stir straws to chew on. (I'm going to have a disgusting stir-straw addiction?)
Third, and this is the important part - put a jar in the house. Every day put the money in that jar that you would have spent on cigarettes. In one year, do something fun with that money. ALSO - write the name of someone you hate on that jar. If you smoke, give all that money to that person. He told me that a man of color gave $735 to David Duke - Grand Dragon of KKK. That man now has a horrible aversion to smoking. I can see how this would work.
Here's my problem. I don't really hate anyone. I can't think of anyone that I wouldn't want to give money to. Maybe Wal-Mart. Ugh. They give me chills.
How does one take the time to think of someone to hate??

Ok - so the day will be 11-20-05. It will be a Sunday.
Wish me luck. Until then, don't be surprised if my rantings become incoherent. I will be sufficiently drugged...for all the right reasons.

11 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Best of luck, Agnes!!!
Here's a little extra incentive about how quickly health will improve, which just happened to be in my newspaper today - that has to be a clear sign you will succeed!

After quitting:

After 20mins.: Bloodpressure and puls become normal.
After 8 hours: Physical condition has improved.
After 48 hours: The carbon monoxide in the blood has disappeared. Sense of smell and taste begin to return to normal.
After 2 weeks: Complexion improves.
After 4 weeks: Coughing and shortness of breath disappears. Lungs will be better able to fight infection.

Agnes said...

Exactly what I needed Autumn! Thanks so very much.

I've heard the cravings stop, mostly, after 7 days. I will be counting those 7 I bet.

I did quit once - for 6 weeks. This time it has got to stick!

My greatest challenge: Hubby smokes and isn't ready to quit. I hope I will inspire him. I hope I won't nag him. I hope he won't influence me.
I hope I will inspire him!!!!
(I also hope I can trade cigarettes for a newfound obsession...like cleaning! ;)

Phred said...

I hope it works.
I have smoked for almost 40 years.
If it works for you..I might give it a try.
So there`s more incentive..for you.
I would have probably lived to be 90 if I had not ever smoked.
GOOD LUCK !!

Christa said...

Good luck, hon :D
I've done it too...and to quit is not difficult, it's to stay away from it that is tough ;)

In addition to Autumns list I can tell you that after 2 months everything taste wonderfully. Food gets a different meaning and that's when it's time to watch your portions. Also, your voice will improve. I can actually sing if I stay away from smoking for a couple of months ;)

But most of all, you will fell so much better. More energic (I almost killed my enviroment with the activity) and as I said, taste and smell comes back.

When I lived in LA there was some kinda pill you could take (that was fairly new back then) to quit smoking. It should work wonders somehow, but I could never try it because of my epilepsy. Not sure if it's still there or if it's a good idea to use. Pills can easily become an addiction too.

I like your lil draggie btw ;) Funny, coz I posted a dragon in my blog this morning too :D

Trée said...

Aggie, good luck to you. May you find all the strength you need.

tsduff said...

Agnes - no waffling. I'm confident that if you make up your mind to end the smoking, you will do it. My best congratulations to you!

Agnes said...

Phred - I might hold you to that!! Do ya think you're up for it?

The truth is that we cannot quit until we are READY to quit. That's part one and I've always known it. I feel ready.

I am looking forward to all the things on Autumn's list and Christa, to food with incredible flavor.
I am looking forward to having energy. I'm far too young not to.
There is much I look forward to.

Trée - I expect to get a great deal of that strength right here. ;)

t0meh said...

Best of luck Agnes :) My mums trying to quit but she still continously smokes - perhaps I should forward some of those methods you mention to her!

Lindsey said...

Oh Agnes...best of luck to you! Maybe I should say best of luck to your husband...wonder if HE"LL make it through this alive. :0)

Agnes said...

Be careful with that Tomeh. You really can't push anyone into quitting. They have to do it in their own time.
To this day, my father has never asked me to quit. Not when he did. Not now with all the doctors around.
We've talked about it before but he knew from experience that it would happen in my own time.

Linny, I'm not even going to tell the hubby. He'll be on vacation that week and I'll be home alone. I figured that is as good a time as any. Lucky him. ;) Besides, I'll be heavily sedated. LOL

:P fuzzbox said...

I have heard of saving the money spent on smokes but never the added feature of adding on the jar a name of a hated person who would get the cash in case of failure. That idea rocks. I quite once for a year, although I got over the need for a cig, I never got over the need to eat everything in sight. I went back to smoking so at least the pall bearers could carry my carcass. But I know I will try to quit again.Thanks for the tip.