Friday, November 25, 2005

Life, The Universe and Everything

A hole had just appeared in the Galaxy. It was exactly a nothingth of a second long, a nothingth of an inch wide, and quite a lot of millions of light-years from end to end.

As it closed up, lots of paper hats and party balloons fell out of it and drifted off through the Universe. A team of seven three-foot-high market analysts fell out of it and died, partly of asphyxiation, partly of surprise.

Two hundred and thirty-nine thousand lightly fried eggs fell out of it too, materializing in a large wobbly heap on the famine-struck land of Poghril in the Pansel system.

The whole Poghril tribe had died out from famine except for one last man who died of cholesterol poisoning some weeks later.

The nothingth of a second for which the hole existed reverberated backward and forward through time in a most improbable fashion. Somewhere in the deeply remote past it seriously traumatized a small random group of atoms drifting through the empty sterility of space and made them cling together in the most extraordinarily unlikely patterns. These patterns quickly learned to copy themselves (this was part of what was so extraordinary about the patterns) and went on to cause massive trouble on every planet they drifted on to. That was how life began in the Universe.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

8 comments:

Agnes said...

Ok, that was just for fun. I love that book. (Not the movie. The movie sucks. The book is pure poetry!)

This is not the fractal I've been working on for most of the day. I'm still thinking through the wording for that one.

I hope you had fun on your visit to my planet. :)

Trée said...

Aggie, that is one damn good looking fractal. This is my absolute fav that you've done so far. It's just fan-f***ing-tastic!!!

Agnes said...

Lol, thanks Trée. It looks like some Egyptian artifact, doesn't it? Or possibly Janet Jackson's entire wardrobe. Bwaahhaah.
I liked the 3D effect. Like it's a button to push. Maybe it's the Don't Panic Button. LOL

Trée said...

Mmm, I saw a gong that when I bang it, it means come to papa with boots and cowboy hat only. Now what did you see? lmao

Agnes said...

Ooo - a gong....I hadn't thought of that. A very zen, very Tibetan sort of gong.
I'm not sure that boots go with a gong. Maybe something more of a Geisha thing?

Trée said...

Yes, I like the Geisha theme. Silk robe only. Mmm . . . Are you feeling crazy Janie? :-)

Autumn Storm said...

I hate coming at the end of the comments :-), I just seem to repeat what everyone else says, so I'll just say: Bloody brilliant!!

Agnes said...

LOL "Bloody Brilliant!"
That's my favorite compliment ever. It sounds so British and regal. :D